Thursday, February 11, 2010

Know That Owner: Jacob Maurer


My name is Jacob Maurer, but most people call me Jake. My WIS handle is jemaurer. Mordecai was the first world that I joined and I also have a HBD team in Big Sky Alumni. I am relatively new to HBD (5 seasons) and believe that the best way to learn is to talk to you guys and pay attention to the chats and forums. I owe the veterans in Mordecai a debt of gratitude for their readiness to help a newcomer. I have dabbled in GD a little, but just enough to turn me off to it. I do truly enjoy HBD, however, and I know I will be around for a long time. One last tidbit concerning WIS, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank David (dwhit34) for introducing me to the game and giving me my start in Mordecai.

I am 33 years old and was born in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I am of Pennsylvania Dutch (which is actually German, from Deutsch) and Swedish descent with a handful of other genetic spices sprinkled in. I am descended from Scranton / Wilkes Barre coalminers on my Dad’s side and God - fearing Lutherans on my Mother’s side. I was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes at the age of 3 and have been dealing with the ups and downs of that as long as I can remember. I grew up a Philadelphia sports fan – 2 of the first 10 words in my vocabulary were ‘F--- Dallas.’ I graduated high school, dropped out of two universities, and at 20 years old God saw it fit to place me in New Orleans, Louisiana (1996.)

I am now living in New Orleans and I work as a cook (in dwhit34’s restaurant!) and also as a barista. It feels as if I’ve found my niche. I am a recovered alcoholic and my sobreity date is 28APR2008, so God willing, I will pick up a two year chip in a couple of months.

To get a superficial idea of my tastes, here are my top fives as of tonight:

Albums

  1. The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers
  2. The Who – Live at Leeds
  3. Frank Zappa and the Mothers – One Size Fits All
  4. Ween – Pure Guava
  5. Thin Lizzy – Vagabonds of the Western World
Books
  1. Vladimir Nabokov – Lolita
  2. David Foster Wallace – Infinite Jest
  3. Kurt Vonnegut – Sirens of Titan
  4. Richard Brautigan – In Watermelon Sugar
  5. John Kennedy Toole – A Confederacy of Dunces
Films
  1. Doctor Strangelove
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. On the Waterfront
  4. The Outlaw Josey Wales
  5. Deconstructing Harry
Well, that’s me in a nutshell. It’s me and I’m in a nutshell… ANYWAY, at least it’s an intro. Like I said, I plan on sticking around for a long time so I look forward to knowing each of you better and revealing more of the intricacies of my character in time.

0 Comments: