Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Know That Owner: Ben Agnew


My name is Ben Agnew and I am most likely the youngest person in Mordecai. That is, at least to my current knowledge. I recently turned 23 years. Most of you know me as mohawkman and perhaps even a few of you wonder why I use that as a screen name after seeing the picture of me on this blog. To be honest, I’ve never had a mohawk haircut. My alma mater high school uses the Mohawk Indian as a mascot and I suppose I’ve always been proud of the teams I root for. Perhaps this can be further demonstrated in my Mordecai team mascot, the Redhawks. I am currently a senior at Miami University, home of the Roethlisbergers… err, I mean Redhawks.

That is a kind of joke I like to say because many people around here love to talk about Ben Roethlisberger as if he is the only great thing to come out of the school. This Miami is not to be confused with “The U” in Miami, Florida. No, I hail from Oxford, OH where in 1809, Miami University was established… ten years before Florida broke away from Spanish rule, and 36 years before Florida was a state. For the most part, I enjoy going to school here. Robert Frost once claimed Miami was “the most beautiful college there ever was”. All of the buildings are built of red bricks and really do coordinate beautifully. There are also plenty of trees on campus which make for a stunning autumn landscape.

I will graduate this May with a bachelor of arts in psychology and a minor in neuroscience. I enjoy people and love researching the social aspects of human life. My goal is to go back to school at some point and study judgments and decision making. I haven’t applied for grad school yet because to be honest, I’m a little burnt out on school at the moment and I’d like to take a break from it before I make a run for a higher degree. I’m currently throwing my resume around and hoping for a bite in the job market. I know most people say that once you leave school you’ll never go back, but I also know that plenty of grad students are in their 30’s. I feel like I’m pretty focused on going back after a year or two, and that it’s not a matter of “if” but rather “when”.

As for sports, I am a fanatic of everything. I’m a lifelong Reds fan and enjoy baseball in every aspect. Just like most HBD owners, statistics fascinate me. I’m really hoping that in the next few years the Reds can put things together and make a run for the playoffs. As for other sports, Miami hasn’t had a very good football team since Roethlisberger, and basketball has been nothing short of lethargic since Wally Szczerbiak. Instead, most students, including myself, root for the hockey team. Last year we fell a minute short of winning the national championship (ugh! I was there!). This season we are currently ranked #1. Oh, and when it comes to football, I am a die hard Buckeye. Yeah, yeah… the Big Ten is terrible and SEC schools romped them twice in title games. It honestly just makes me appreciate that magical year in ’02 when they did win it all. Championships aren’t everyday and you gotta enjoy them to the fullest when they occur. I feel like they’ll make a run for it next season. I’d love another shot at the SEC. To be the best, you have to beat the best.

*The picture is from my 22nd birthday when my girlfriend smeared icing on my face. She is running away from my revenge to put icing on her face.

0 Comments: